Monday, April 9, 2012

Stairway to Heaven


Posted: 04/ 9/2012 2:58 pm

Well, it's official -- I am totally hooked by the hypnotic effect of social media and namely the discussions offered by the group "Quantum Physics and Consciousness" on Linkedin. The current topic titled "Is Consciousness Material?" has escalated to include a philosophical perspective. My prior views on social media were that it, for the most part, fosters an aloof, false sense of connection. Never in my wildest dreams did I envision social media to posses the ability to impart the profundity I have encountered in this group's interaction as they collectively share their views. In this respect I must, as they say in our fine English language, "eat crow," as the above stated assumption has been proven wrong.
As we explore the peaks and valleys of consciousness, the questions posed dare to ask, "What is beyond?" The notion that consciousness is in someway entwined to a ground field of subjective energy holds everyone's fascination. This subjective energy is a force of nature so powerful that millions of dollars in research are being poured in by science, as they are enthralled in finding "the Higgs boson," aka the God particle. What is it? Where does it come from? How does space-time play a role? How does our neurological composition affect our ability to perceive and experience consciousness or connect to this elusive particle? How do we change our perception to account for the creation of a new reality? Are we products of a deterministic universe, or do we really posses the ability to exercise free will? Or is perhaps free will merely an illusion of what the Hindu culture refers to as "Maya"? In the words of musical creative geniuses Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, "Ooh, it makes me wonder."
Is it possible there is some truth to the ascension of our own spirit by way of this support system we know as the "stairway"? What would it take to purify the soul in order to begin progression of such journey while here on Earth? If so, would we be willing to take on the challenge and buckle down into the rollercoaster of self-transformation in order to assure our position as a dignified member of this illuminated "Union Hall"?
I must agree all these are a tall order of questions that require at a minimum a little pause to breath in. Secondly, they command an awareness of readiness and whether or not one is willing to digest such a bountiful platter. I have been chewing on this type of soul food since I was 12 years old when, with the help of a 13-year-old "special" friend, I discovered the work of Kahlil Gibran and his renowned piece The Prophet. We use to sit on a knee-high wall by the ocean and take turns reading different passages to each other. Somehow my curiosity and contemplative nature has never been entirely satisfied. I take great pleasure in this journey of discovery. The more I dig in, the more the universe offers itself to me unmasking all its glory, leaving me in a state of absolute rapture. Consequently, I find infinite wisdom and inspiration dispersed throughout poetry and lyrical expressions from a variety of artists, old and new.
It is this kind of introspection that has facilitated me in becoming a writer. Furthermore, it is this musing that makes me view life in a way in which the arrivals of rhythmic ebbs and flows brought on by daily occurrences are not just your run-of-the-mill experiences, they are an adventure. These adventures make it so that free will arises from the ashes of chaos, giving me an opportunity to align in synchronicity with the power of love and climb the so-called "stairway to heaven." In the process of moving up each rung, I then realize that "If you listen very hard, the tune will come to you at last, when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll."
"Ooh it makes me wonder."
For more by Denise M. Wilbanks, click here.
For more on consciousness, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment